Welcome to Old Dog Dialog

In tribute to all of the old dogs we have known and loved.


Thursday, February 18, 2010

Old Dogs, Old Shoes



"Old dogs, like old shoes, are comfortable. They might be a bit out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well." - Bonnie Wilcox - 'Old Dogs, Old Friends: Enjoying Your Older Dog'


Welcome to my Old Dog Dialog and tribute to Tootsie Roll, our 17 1/2 year old beagle mutt. Like a child who needs to tell you that she is 5 1/2 years old, not 5 years old, I like to emphasize that extra half year. I am so thankful for every additional day and month she is with us, that I feel compelled to count them.

One of the things that I have definitely noticed is how our relationship has changed over the past 17 1/2 years. When Tootsie came to live with us, she was like a pair of strappy, high-heeled sandals I used to wear. Both Tootsie and the shoes were cute, playful and sassy. They both said "look at me, I'm fun, let's get crazy!" However, if their energy was not properly focused, they would occasionally get into a bit of trouble. For example, the time she destroyed our family room furniture, or the time I was in New Orleans and . . . never mind, this is about her, not me. Like all good dog parents, we spent a lot of time reinforcing good behavior and redirecting her efforts in those early years.

As Tootsie reached her "teen years", she began to settle down, and her true personality started to show. In this phase, she reminded me of a pair of black patent leather sling-backs I used to wear - still high-heeled, of course. She had firm muscles, clear eyes and a beautiful, black, shiny coat. Tootsie's friendly, sweet persona had developed, but she was still full of vigor and intent on living life to the fullest.

As the years went on, Tootsie's sweetness never wavered, and a calm settled over her nature. Throughout those same years, the heels on my shoes started getting shorter and the toes less pointed. Leaving the corporate world and starting a pet sitting business helped make that easier to pull off. I now relate Tootsie to the pair of walking shoes I wore for the Avon Breast Cancer Walk. A lot of miles were put on those shoes, and they just kept going.

Quality time with Tootsie right now often involves us sharing the love seat with Sosa, our terrier mutt. Tootsie is usually snoozing, and I'll be reading or watching TV. And, on my feet, are a pair of well-worn blue slippers. Like Tootsie, they are warm, cozy and as comfortable as can be.










2 comments:

  1. Judy, your blog is great and I have to say, some days I'm feeling like an "old dog" myself, so your words really hit home. Will you have a "New Puppy Dialog" some day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, I love the blog! I don't follow many blogs at all, but where it concerns dogs, I may just keep watching. Maybe if your pet sitting business gets you any interesting pet stories, you might want to tell some of them in this or another blog.

    ReplyDelete